Seminar (Brisbane Lawyers): Business Valuations from a Family Law Perspective
When: 12pm-2pm Friday 11th August 2017
Where: Chartered Accountants Building, Level 13, 1 Eagle Street Brisbane
Join us for this live seminar at the Chartered Accountants Building in the Brisbane CBD. We’ll eliminate the jargon and leave our ego at the door as you get to go behind the scenes and learn how a competent business valuer really approaches a family law engagement. The content is suitable for solicitors and barristers and has been updated.
Learn the top 10 mistakes made by solicitors engaging a business valuer for family law and other matters. Find out when, how and why a solicitor should get involved in the business valuation process to do their job effectively as a legal advocate. Learn to show your clients you can make a real difference. This seminar will give practical examples.
At the seminar we’ll go through our ‘cheat sheet’ of the typical list of issues that solicitors should be arguing about to ethically influence the valuation outcome lower or higher. Learn how to approach the common accusation of unreported cash income.
In our experience, too many solicitors sit back because they don’t know what to argue. In this session you’ll see the common issues and learn how to spot more on each case.
Presented by Trevor Monaghan, an experienced Chartered Accountant and expert Business Valuer, this seminar will go beyond the norm of boring presentations. Different and engaging, it has been described as “Fun and informative”, “A breath of fresh air. Informative, concise and very well presented”. This will change the way you think.
Content to be covered:
- Learn how to have an informed conversation with your clients and prospects
- Learn how a solicitor can ethically influence the valuation process and outcome
- Learn what information is needed to value any business properly
- Learn how to approach the common accusation of unreported cash income
- Learn what assets/liabilities are included & excluded in family law valuations
- Learn the top 10 mistakes made by solicitors when engaging a business valuer
- Learn the important things you need to know from a family law perspective
- Learn how to design the scope of the valuation engagement to keep costs down
- Learn the tax consequences of selling or transferring assets for the property settlement
- Q & A time